Our latest sponsor is the long-standing Edinburgh firm of James Ritchie Clockmakers.
James Ritchie opened for business in 1809in Leith. where they developed as leading clock and watchmakers in Edinburgh, famously pioneering electrical horology and collaborating with Alexander Bain and astronomer royal Charles Piazzi Smyth in creating the mechanisms for the one o’clock gun and time ball on Calton Hill. In1872 (the same year that W&G was founded) James Ritchie improved the Bain’s system of sympathetic pendulums. By means of contacts, fitted to the pendulum of the master clock, the coil of the secondary pendulum is energized at each swing keeping it in absolute step with the master clock. Today they act as specialists in the restoration, conservation and repair of antique clocks.
It is a James Ritchie electric clocks that marks time whilst we play on our Green.
They are offering W&G members a 50% reduction on replacement watch batteries from their Gilmerton workshop at 151b The Old Byre, The Drum, EH17 8RX Telephone : 0131-556 1420